IP RIGHTS AND THEIR IMPORTANCE IN THE CREATIVE INDUSTRIES

‘’Intellectual property (IP) is a category of property that includes intangible creations of the human intellect, and primarily encompasses copyrights, patents, and trademarks.[1] It also includes other types of rights, such as trade secrets, publicity rights, moral rights, and rights against unfair competition.’’ Wikipedia.


From the above definition, IP Rights could be regarding as a safeguard to protect the creator’s works from those who might want to take undue advantage like unpermitted copying or using them as their own work for financial or other gain.
One of the benefits of IP Rights is that it encourages innovation and creativity as the creators are confident that their works are protected by law. This in turn impacts positively to the technological progress of the nation.
However, some industries like the Creative industry ‘’…. focus substantially on creating and exploiting intellectual property products, such as music, books, film and games….’’ (What Are Creative Industries. https://www.innovationpolicyplatform.org/content/ip-and-creative-industries) and this means that the Creative industry to a large extent involves working on what others have created either improving them or simply using them as part of a new creative work. So, a single creative piece could involve several intellectual properties and the challenge is how to ensure one is able to get the creator of all the properties which might be easier said than done.
In fact, I had an experience of this challenge after I designed a game and was thinking of making it available to the public. I contacted all the creators of the objects I used as sprites but majority of them never got back except one who even informed me that she has given the right to that particular object to another person/company. This means, I’ll have to create every single resource that is required for the game; the storyline, the object, the music, the background etc. and which will substantially increase the time to finish the piece apart from the fact that I might not be skilled in some of these areas.
In conclusion however, I believe that IP Rights is very important in the Creative industry for creativity and innovation in our technology progress but there might be a need for the industry to consider the sort of arrangement in the media/broadcasting sector whereby any piece of music could be aired by any broadcasting studio/station which is registered with a body and has paid a royalty standard fee for such usage. This will achieve both ends of appreciating the creators as well as reducing the burden of searching for creator/s of each product or resource a professional needs to produce his/her own creative work.
Samuel Oludare Yerokun

Comments