One very good but salient lesson we refused to take from the prodigal son's story is the blessings and the joys of being consistent in the presence of the Father.
The story itself was overshadowed by the compassion this father poured on his ''dead-but-now-alive'' ''lost-but-now-found'' son of his. I have never seen any part of the Scripture where God is biased and this passage is not different.......I am directed to expand a balanced understanding of this passage both to the returning sons/daughters of the kingdom as well to those that have been consistently walking in His presence.
You could read Luke 15:11-32 for the full story but I'm just going to this exposition from verses 21 to 31:
21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’
28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’
31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”
Note the joy of the father for this repentant son (this is a genuine repentance) but also note the unquantifiable blesses that accrue to the older son although this older son seemed to be living in ignorance. Verse 31 ''My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours'' Whao! that's super-terrific! or don't you think so?
''You are always with me''
Shows the presence of the Father......and you may need to check why Moses refused to accept an angel to lead them rather than God. Moses was such a wonderful negotiator.....God had told him earlier He wouldn't be able to go with the children of Israel because of their stiff-necked nature, in case He destroy all of them.....God offered Moses an angel, who also carry His presence. If you read Exodus 33:12, Moses came back to God, stating that God was yet to tell him who will lead them.......do you think that was a lie? No! Moses relayed some promises God had made to him, and he was not going to take anything less than what connects with that promise. Now listen to this ''The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." ...............This was what the older son was enjoying but did not appreciate because he never consider it a blessing.
''....and everything I have is yours''
Whao! The Exodus referred above intimated us on one of the benefits ''.....and I will give you rest'' Because God has rest, being in His presence gives you rest, because He has peace you have peace, because He has strength, that strength becomes your joy and we can go on and on.......but the conclusion is, this older son gives attention to his miseries rather than his joys......to his perceived disadvantages rather than advantages......to his weakness and feebleness rather than strength and unfortunately, that is where many in the Lord's kingdom are.
While those who left and came back repentantly, rejoices in the Father's mercy and compassion, those who have been consistent should have a higher and better reason/s to be joyful about because they are in the Father's presence and all the Father has belongs to them.
God bless you all.
Comments
Post a Comment